Equine Biosecurity – Canada’s standard (Spring 2017)
- This course ends on 04/28/2017, however students will have access until 5/5/17
PROTECT YOUR HORSE FROM GETTING SICK
Reduce the odds of sickness in your horses! Join our community to learn Canada’s new Equine Biosecurity standard together. Whether you are from Canada or from anywhere in the world, you will gain practical knowledge on ways to keep your horses healthy and protected from getting sick.
This course aims to provide you with an understanding of the key issues surrounding biosecurity, and infection control, in the horse industry. More specifically, the course will address the importance of biosecurity, your role in transmitting and preventing the spread of disease, and the most effective approaches for preventing and controlling the spread of disease on the farm and at events. Importantly, increasing your knowledge of best management practices with respect to biosecurity will ensure you minimize your risk of spreading disease, and will allow you to more effectively communicate this to others.
This course is based on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) National Farm and Facility Level Biosecurity Standard for the Equine Sector. CFIA develops national biosecurity standards, protocols and strategies in collaboration with producer organizations, provincial/territorial governments, and academia.
In this course you will learn to:
- Identify the risks associated with infectious disease
- Discuss the importance of biosecurity and infection control in the horse industry
- Identify the role you may play in disease spread
- Describe and implement best management practices for preventing and controlling disease spread
1. Assignment (required for certificate of completion (ungraded))
2. Quiz (completion with 70% minimum for certificate of completion)
- Occurs over a 3-week period
- 10 – 15 hour time commitment is required during this period
- No set times to be online each week
- Recommended you visit the course site at least 5 times a week, preferably once or more each day
- All materials are provided online within course site
- 16 years of age or older
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Equine Guelph – the horse owner’s Centre at the University of Guelph.
Continuing Education Credits/Professional Development
Equestrian Canada recognizes Equine Guelph short-training online courses as qualifying for points on the NCCP Coach/Instructor Professional Development Activities Updating hours (3 points)
Guest Speaker – Dr. Alison Moore
Training Schedule Unit 1: Introduction and Background Unit 2: Farm and Facility Specific Biosecurity Plan Unit 3: Principles of Infection Prevention and Control Programs Unit 4: Preventive Horse Health Management Program Unit 5: New, Returning & Visiting Horses, Movements & Transportation Unit 6: Access Management Unit 7: Farm & Facility Management Unit 8: Biosecurity Awareness, Education and Training Unit 9: Farm & Facility Location & Design and Existing Facilities Renovations Unit 10: Review, Guest Expert, Quiz