Resources for The Senior Horse
This page is a collection of the many resources that are included within the course for quick reference, organized by course lesson. For questions about these resources, or to request additional information about the topics presented, please send an email to [email protected]
Unit 1 – Introduction to the Course
- Senior Horse Management Fact Sheet – Equine Guelph fact sheet with tips on senior horse management.
- Equine Guelph Senior Horse Challenge
Unit 2 – Defining a Senior Horse
- The Tale of the Teeth:
- The Price of Longevity: Senior Horse Health Needs – Learn more about defining old age and the health issues that may come with it.
- Taking Care of the Senior Horse – Learn more about when a horse is considered senior and the changes that occur with aging.
- The Aging Horse – Learn more about the signs of aging and the changes and health issues that come along with it.
- The Oldest Horses in History – Check out this list of some of the oldest horses in history.
- Farewell Shayne: World’s Oldest Horse Passes – Learn more about one of the world’s oldest horses.
Unit 3 – Teeth, Body Condition, Thermoregulation 3.1
- 5 Things You Need to Know: Senior Horse Dental Care – TheHorse.com
- Common Equine Dental Problems – Texas Equine Dentistry
- Body Condition Scoring – Hands on Help for Your Horse – Equine Guelph article
- Don’t settle for anything less than Ideal: Consequences of Being Too Thin – Equine Guelph infosheet
- Geriatric Horse Dental Care – Fact sheet with info on aging of teeth, dental diseases, when to seek dental care and answers to some frequently asked questions.
- Prevalence, risk factors and clinical signs predictive for equine pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction in aged horses – Research study investigating prevalence, risk factors and clinical signs predictive for PPID in horses aged 15 and up in Queensland, Australia.
- Cushing’s Horses’ Long-Term Response to Pergolide – Article summarizing findings from researchers who studied a group of horses receiving pergolide for treatment of PPID over a long period of time.
- Senior Horse Dental Heath – Article summarizing signs of common dental problems in senior horses.
- Handle Senior Horse Dental Care With Diligence – More tips on senior dental care from the 2018 American Association of Equine Practitioners Convention.
- Horse Blanketing FAQs – Article answering some frequently asked blanketing questions.
- Keeping the Aging Horse Comfortable – Tips for preventing conditions such as dental disease, joint pain and arthritis, pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction, equine asthma; and eye problems.
Unit 4 – Nutrition
- Feeding the Healthy Senior Horse – Guidelines on feeding healthy senior horses, featuring tips from equine nutritionist, Dr. Sarah Ralston.
- Dealing with Equine Colic – A list of 33 things to do and not to do when a horse displays vague, mild and serious signs of colic.
- 7 Tips for Selecting and Feeding a Complete Feed – Some might consider feeding their seniors a complete feed. However, it can be difficult to choose and understand the appropriate ways to feed one. This article has some great tips for those interested!
- Equine Elders – TheHorse.com – Dr. Clair Thunes, an independent equine nutritionist, answers some common questions about feeding older equines.
- Risks Associated With Feeding Horses Traditional Bran Mashes – While steeped in tradition, feeding bran mashes can cause GI distress in horses. Learn why, and discover alternatives. (TheHorse.com)
Unit 5 – Lameness and Fitness
- Lameness in Senior Horses – Kentucky Equine Research
- Senior Horse Hoof Care – 8 Answers from farrier Sean Elliot:
- Senior Horse Health Challenges – Fact sheet providing information on pain recognition and common conditions affecting senior horses.
- Oral Joint Supplements for Horses – This article examines the current state of the equine nutritional supplement industry and outlines a seven-step “ACCLAIM” approach to critically evaluate supplements for horse caregivers.
- Your Aging Horse: Conditioning – Tips for conditioning a senior horse.
- Equine Conditioning video – Learn about equine conditioning in general with this video from equine biomechanics expert, Dr. Hilary Clayton.
Unit 6 – Biosecurity
- CFIA National Farm and Facility Level Biosecurity Standard for the Equine Sector – The national biosecurity standard that contains guidelines and recommendations to benefit horse owners and custodians in protecting their horses from contagious diseases.
- Equine Biosecurity Principles and Best Practices – Educational outreach resource from the Alberta Equestrian Federation.
- Pay Close Attention to Nylon Halters, Leads During Post-Strangles Cleaning – A recent study showed the importance of machine washing on hot at a temperature of at least 60°C (140°F) to get rid of the bacteria on nylon halters and leads.
- Older Horses Part 3: Vaccinations and Deworming – Info from experts on guidelines for deworming and vaccinating aging equines.
- News article from Ontario Equestrian on farm-level biosecurity standard – Info about the standard and its development
- Horses – Health Management and Biosecurity – Links to fact sheets and resources from OMAFRA
- Guidelines for Vaccination of Horses – Fact sheet from OMAFRA
- 10 Biosecurity Tips from Top Equine Health Experts – 10 great tips from experts
- Vaccination Considerations in Older Horses – Discusses the importance of vaccination for older horses
Unit 7 – Breeding your older Horse
- Breeding Horses – This book provides those interested in breeding with an overview of breeding and practical information.
- How to prepare the Older Mare for Breeding Season – Tips on general healthcare, diet modification, metabolic conditions and reproductive health for the older mare.
- Breeding the Older Mare – Issues with breeding an older mare and strategies for overcoming them.
- Stallion Reproduction – More info on the reproductive system and factors affecting breeding performance.
Unit 8 – Housing the Senior Horse
- Consequences of Stall Confinement – Discusses potential long-term effects stalling might have on general health and emotional state.
Unit 9 – End of Life Considerations
- Equine Industry Imposium – presentation by Gayle Ecker (from 7:50 – 27:00)
- McGowan, T.W., Phillips, C.J.C., Hodgson, D.R., Perkins, N., and McGowan, C.M. (2012). Euthanasia in Aged Horses: Relationship between the Owner’s Personality and Their Opinions on, and Experience of, Euthanasia of Horses. Anthrozoos
- Further Burial Restrictions from Nutrient Management Act. Ontario Regulation 106/09 – Disposal of dead farm animals
- Equine End of Life – Tips and resources from the Word Horse Welfare organization
- Operational Details of the Five Domains Model and Its Key Applications to the Assessment and Management of Animal Welfare – A paper from Dr. David Mellor, well-known welfare expert, that describes the five domains model and its applications in more detail.
- Care Guidelines for Equine Rescue and Retirement Facilities – Guidelines to help support the important work done by these facilities.
- Euthanasia of Horses – Fact sheet covering guidelines for making a decision on the right time, the process of euthanasia, and burial/disposal options.