Resources for The Senior Horse
- Senior Horse Management Fact Sheet – Equine Guelph fact sheet with tips on senior horse management.
- Equine Guelph Senior Horse Challenge
Unit 2 – Defining a Senior Horse
- The Tale of the Teeth:
- The Price of Longevity: Senior Horse Health Needs – Learn more about defining old age and the health issues that may come with it.
- Taking Care of the Senior Horse – Learn more about when a horse is considered senior and the changes that occur with aging.
- The Aging Horse – Learn more about the signs of aging and the changes and health issues that come along with it.
- The Oldest Horses in History – Check out this list of some of the oldest horses in history.
- Farewell Shayne: World’s Oldest Horse Passes – Learn more about one of the world’s oldest horses.
Unit 3 – Teeth, Body Condition, Thermoregulation 3.1
- 5 Things You Need to Know: Senior Horse Dental Care – TheHorse.com
- Common Equine Dental Problems – Texas Equine Dentistry
- Body Condition Scoring – Hands on Help for Your Horse – Equine Guelph article
- Don’t settle for anything less than Ideal: Consequences of Being Too Thin – Equine Guelph infosheet
- Geriatric Horse Dental Care – Fact sheet with info on aging of teeth, dental diseases, when to seek dental care and answers to some frequently asked questions.
- Prevalence, risk factors and clinical signs predictive for equine pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction in aged horses – Research study investigating prevalence, risk factors and clinical signs predictive for PPID in horses aged 15 and up in Queensland, Australia.
- Cushing’s Horses’ Long-Term Response to Pergolide – Article summarizing findings from researchers who studied a group of horses receiving pergolide for treatment of PPID over a long period of time.
- Senior Horse Dental Heath – Article summarizing signs of common dental problems in senior horses.
- Handle Senior Horse Dental Care With Diligence – More tips on senior dental care from the 2018 American Association of Equine Practitioners Convention.
- Horse Blanketing FAQs – Article answering some frequently asked blanketing questions.
- Keeping the Aging Horse Comfortable – Tips for preventing conditions such as dental disease, joint pain and arthritis, pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction, equine asthma; and eye problems.
Unit 4 – Nutrition
- Feeding the Healthy Senior Horse – Guidelines on feeding healthy senior horses, featuring tips from equine nutritionist, Dr. Sarah Ralston.
- Dealing with Equine Colic – A list of 33 things to do and not to do when a horse displays vague, mild and serious signs of colic.
- 7 Tips for Selecting and Feeding a Complete Feed – Some might consider feeding their seniors a complete feed. However, it can be difficult to choose and understand the appropriate ways to feed one. This article has some great tips for those interested!
- Equine Elders – TheHorse.com – Dr. Clair Thunes, an independent equine nutritionist, answers some common questions about feeding older equines.
- Risks Associated With Feeding Horses Traditional Bran Mashes – While steeped in tradition, feeding bran mashes can cause GI distress in horses. Learn why, and discover alternatives. (TheHorse.com)
Unit 5 – Lameness and Fitness
- Lameness in Senior Horses – Kentucky Equine Research
- Senior Horse Hoof Care – 8 Answers from farrier Sean Elliot:
- Senior Horse Health Challenges – Fact sheet providing information on pain recognition and common conditions affecting senior horses.
- Oral Joint Supplements for Horses – This article examines the current state of the equine nutritional supplement industry and outlines a seven-step “ACCLAIM” approach to critically evaluate supplements for horse caregivers.
- Your Aging Horse: Conditioning – Tips for conditioning a senior horse.
- Equine Conditioning video – Learn about equine conditioning in general with this video from equine biomechanics expert, Dr. Hilary Clayton.
Unit 6 – Biosecurity
- CFIA National Farm and Facility Level Biosecurity Standard for the Equine Sector – The national biosecurity standard that contains guidelines and recommendations to benefit horse owners and custodians in protecting their horses from contagious diseases.
- Equine Biosecurity Principles and Best Practices – Educational outreach resource from the Alberta Equestrian Federation.
- Pay Close Attention to Nylon Halters, Leads During Post-Strangles Cleaning – A recent study showed the importance of machine washing on hot at a temperature of at least 60°C (140°F) to get rid of the bacteria on nylon halters and leads.
- Older Horses Part 3: Vaccinations and Deworming – Info from experts on guidelines for deworming and vaccinating aging equines.
- News article from Ontario Equestrian on farm-level biosecurity standard – Info about the standard and its development
- Horses – Health Management and Biosecurity – Links to fact sheets and resources from OMAFRA
- Guidelines for Vaccination of Horses – Fact sheet from OMAFRA
- 10 Biosecurity Tips from Top Equine Health Experts – 10 great tips from experts
- Vaccination Considerations in Older Horses – Discusses the importance of vaccination for older horses
Unit 7 – Breeding your older Horse
- Breeding Horses – This book provides those interested in breeding with an overview of breeding and practical information.
- How to prepare the Older Mare for Breeding Season – Tips on general healthcare, diet modification, metabolic conditions and reproductive health for the older mare.
- Breeding the Older Mare – Issues with breeding an older mare and strategies for overcoming them.
- Stallion Reproduction – More info on the reproductive system and factors affecting breeding performance.
Unit 8 – Housing the Senior Horse
- Consequences of Stall Confinement – Discusses potential long-term effects stalling might have on general health and emotional state.
Unit 9 – End of Life Considerations
- Equine Industry Imposium – presentation by Gayle Ecker (from 7:50 – 27:00)
- McGowan, T.W., Phillips, C.J.C., Hodgson, D.R., Perkins, N., and McGowan, C.M. (2012). Euthanasia in Aged Horses: Relationship between the Owner’s Personality and Their Opinions on, and Experience of, Euthanasia of Horses. Anthrozoos
- Further Burial Restrictions from Nutrient Management Act. Ontario Regulation 106/09 – Disposal of dead farm animals
- Equine End of Life – Tips and resources from the Word Horse Welfare organization
- Operational Details of the Five Domains Model and Its Key Applications to the Assessment and Management of Animal Welfare – A paper from Dr. David Mellor, well-known welfare expert, that describes the five domains model and its applications in more detail.
- Care Guidelines for Equine Rescue and Retirement Facilities – Guidelines to help support the important work done by these facilities.
- Euthanasia of Horses – Fact sheet covering guidelines for making a decision on the right time, the process of euthanasia, and burial/disposal options.