Follow up – could this happen to you?
Back to our injured rider
“A couple of factors that I should have considered before I put my foot in the stirrup. (And things you may all want to consider for your riding/horse management experiences).
- The horse had not been ridden for the past 3 weeks
- His turnout had been curtailed A LOT due to the number of horses at the facility and lack of turnout space due to snow/ice.
- I am an average rider and not as fit as the horse
- I definitely should have lunged him prior to the lesson. (Despite my instincts telling me otherwise)
- It was a windy day outdoors and the indoor arena was full of ‘spooky’ noises.
I think if this horse was kept out 24/7 with shelter and more forage and less concentrates he would be much more manageable”
Today’s topic – trailer safety
Also – a reminder to post questions for our guest speaker, Dr. Rebecca Gimenez.. Please see the course outline for the bio and then use the guest speaker discussion area to post your questions. Dr. Gimenez will address both general questions on safety plus more advanced questions that may pertain to her vast knowledge in emergency rescue. T