Week 2 – Day 6
Follow up – could this happen to you?
Back to our injured rider
“A couple of factors that I should have considered before I put my foot in the stirrup. (And things you may all want to consider for your riding/horse management experiences).
- The horse had not been ridden for the past 3 weeks
- His turnout had been curtailed A LOT due to the number of horses at the facility and lack of turnout space due to snow/ice.
- I am an average rider and not as fit as the horse
- I definitely should have lunged him prior to the lesson. (Despite my instincts telling me otherwise)
- It was a windy day outdoors and the indoor arena was full of ‘spooky’ noises.
I think if this horse was kept out 24/7 with shelter and more forage and less concentrates he would be much more manageable”
Today’s topic – trailer safety