On Demand: Equine Business 101
Equine Business 101 offers a starting point as you begin delving into the possibilities of running your own facility or taking your business to the next level, and sees you through the process of developing a business plan. Throughout this course, we will provide you with some basic information to guide you in the creation of your plan to run a successful equine facility.
By registering for this course, you will be part of a learning community, sharing ideas and helpful tips with peers in our Discussion Board. This gathering space provides a confidential, safe space to share and incubate ideas. It is a community hub where you can build on common passions and grow together. The Discussion Board will be open for a year from the date of your registration. After the one-year period, continued access to the Discussion Board, and to peers within this unique community, will be made available for a small renewal fee (contact [email protected] for details).
This course may be of interest for:
- Those who are contemplating opening a horse business of lessons, boarding or training
- Anyone (owners, managers) currently operating a horse facility looking for marketing tips or ways to improve their future business planning
- Equine facility owners looking to re-brand or grow their business
- Future stable workers aiming to stand out amongst other candidates applying for jobs in the equine industry
- Students interested in completing their Equine Facility Management Certificate
This on-demand educational offering arose out of an abundance of interest to better understand the business of managing and/or starting an Equine Facility, and to guide those that are interested in getting into this business or improving their existing businesses.
Equine industry pro’s are a passionate bunch, but a high number of businesses do not succeed beyond their first few years due to a lack of business acumen. Many come to the horse world, drawn by strong passions for all of the wonders that sharing our lives with horses brings, but in the end, running an Equine Facility is a business like many others. Its success relies on clear and realistic planning based on the resources – time and financial – that you are able to offer. Our goal is to put you on a path to defeat those odds.
In this course, our learning goals are to:
- Develop your business plan
- Quantify your business plan, factoring in risk assessment
- Craft your Value Proposition – what sets you apart!
- Create a marketing plan and organize a launch event
- Consider how to approach tough business decisions
- Build and grow your business for the future
- Approximately 20 hours total course time, with opportunities for additional learning activities
- Entirely on-demand – complete at your own pace!
- No set times to be online throughout the course
- Course is entirely online, so travel to the University of Guelph is NOT required
- All materials are provided online within course site
- 16 years of age or older
If you have questions on any of the material in this course, or about The Horse Portal in general, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Equine Guelph – the horse owner’s Centre at the University of Guelph.
Equine Facility Management Certificate
This course counts as 1 credit towards receiving your Equine Facility Management Certificate. Complete Horse Care and Welfare and Sickness Prevention in Horses to complete the Certificate requirements! Note: if you qualify for the Certificate due to completing any of the required courses prior to 2021, please reach out to us at [email protected] for your certificate!
Other industry partners include: AgCareers, Central Ontario Standardbred Association, Ontario Harness Horse Association and Quarter Racing Owners of Ontario Inc.